1999 Wizards of the Coast released a free wuxia-inspired roleplaying game called “Dragon Fist” created by Chris Pramas. The rules have a strong AD&D 2nd Edition feel to it and the setting reminds me a lot of Hong Kong fantasy movies like Chinese Ghost Story, which was obviously intended. Some time ago, Green Ronin has bought the rights to Dragon Fist but haven’t done anything with it and the original free PDFs are no longer available at the WotC site.
But not all is lost. A kind soul has uploaded the Dragon Fist rules to Scribd!
- Part 1 – Introduction
- Part 2 – Character Creation
- Part 3 – Martial Arts and Combat
- Part 4 – Magic
- Part 5 – Experience and Magic Items
- Part 6 – Gods and Monsters
- Part 7 – Campaigns
- Part 8 – Conversion Notes and Recommended Movies
- Part 9 – Sample Adventure
- Part 10 – Table of Contents
If you are into wuxia, you should check out this rare piece of AD&D history.