Today Greg Saunders, the designer of “In Flames” contacted me. He is currently trying to fund “Exilium” which is a reimagining of the aforementioned “In Flames” RPG. So what is Exilium all about?
Exilium is a science fiction roleplaying game based on the Open D6 System. In the game you play a character who has the feeling of being trapped in a body not their own. Eventually it turns out that your character was once part of a group of post humans living in a paradise-like realm called Elysium. Because of some crime committed, you have been banished. Your ultimate goal is to earn the right to return to Elysium.
Greg is trying to raise enough money in order to add full-color art and professional layout to Exilium. The rules are already written, and all the material already released for “In Flames” will be included. But Exilium is not a simple patch job. The setting has been overhauled based on player feedback, and some details have been tweaked for ease of play.
The funding goal is set as 1500 £. As of the time of this writing 662 £ have been raised. So is Exilium a Kickstarter project worth your attention? If you are a fan of either the d6 System or scifi you definitely should check it out. The risk is minimal, since there are no unrealistic stretch goals, and the text is already done. As soon as the project is funded (and if you pledged at least £10) you’ll get an art-free version of the game (and of course the final release version at soon as it’s done). Sounds like a fair deal to me.
If you want to learn more about Exilium check out its Kickstarter page.
Hello dear reader… Fret not about the title, I’m not quitting this blog (even if by my infrequent posting some of you suspected I already did), Michael is not getting rid of me that easy!
However, and despite all RL complications and responsibilities, I’m part of a new project I want to share with all of you. Desde la Fosa a vlog about RPG games in Spanish! It translates as From the Pit, and let me give you some background on it.
Continue reading Desde la Fosa! A new project for Sunglar
UPDATE: I just found an error in my code that was responsible for the ridiculously high populations on many worlds. Line 108 is pp = roll()-2+sz but instead it should be pp = roll()-2.
A friend asked me if I had an open spot in one of my roleplaying game groups, because she really would love to play more often. She is already playing in my RIFTS game, and the only other games I am more or less regularly playing in at the moment are a Star Trek and a Star Wars one. Unfortunately she’s not really into either setting.
So I offered to run a new game for her and my wife. We looked at a couple of games I could run, and to my surprise the choice fell on Traveller. Initially I thought it would be best just to use Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition and set the campaign into the Third Imperium. I own a couple of sourcebooks mostly focused on the Spinward Marches, so this should be quite easy. But easy is not necessarily the most fun way to do things.
So in the end, we settled on using the Cepheus Engine (which is basically CT with a healthy dose of MgT thrown in) and using a homebrew setting instead of the OTU. I will probably still use a lot of OTU material, but this approach allows me to throw out canon out of the window and create my own subsector to play in.
The easiest solution would have been using one of the countless Traveller subsector generators on the web, but I wanted to try the world generation from the Cepheus Engine. Since I always loved to write my own code, I decided to use this opportunity to learn some Python (which I have planned for quite some time).
Continue reading Cepheus, Python & Me